Degree dissertation requirements
Apart from completion of the entire curriculum of the programme, there are two more crucial requirements for the award of the degree of Warsaw University Faculty of Economic Sciences: submission of your own graduate dissertation research project and passing the degree examination (the defence of your thesis project).
This section guides you through the formal side of the process of preparation, submission, and degree defence.
A new formula for thesis
On October 17, 2018, the Faculty Council adopted an alternative formula for master's and bachelor's theses. The new formula is not obligatory, but it is intended to publish good works faster. Works can be submitted by the WNE Central European Economic Journal or other scientific journals.
Attached, a new statement for the diploma thesis, including the provisions of the resolution. The review form will remain unchanged. Diploma theses in the new formula can be carried out already in the current academic year.
- A diploma thesis (bachelor's, master's) may be written in the form of a scientific article, bearing a supplement.
- The text of the article has a structure typical for scientific articles on this subject (about 10-12 thousand words)
- The supplement develops a broader review of the literature, the research method used and the results obtained. It serves as proof that the student has leaned sufficiently over these elements of the work, as well as the role of the guide for the work reviewer.
- Work (article and supplement) can be written in Polish or English. Language compliance is not required in both parts.
- The article may be co-authored with the promoter.
- The whole work contains appropriate statements about authorship. The minimum student contribution is 60% in the article and 100% in the supplement.
All missing schedules will appear shortly as they are being currently updated. Please make sure you check the schedules for most recent updates before your defence.
You are expected to show up at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled defense time.
For deadlines of degree submission and degree examinations please refer to the For students > Academic calendar.
There are 2 regular periods of degree exams (thesis defense):
1. June/July (if thesis is submitted by the deadline in June), and
2. September (if thesis is submitted by the end of August)
In case you pass all the courses, but fail to submit and defend your thesis in either of the two periods/, you will be officially discontinued from studies.
A person who has fulfilled all the requirements set out in the study curriculum except for obtaining credit for the last cycle of the degree seminar due to the failure to submit a thesis envisaged in the curriculum may apply for resumption of studies without the requirement to make up curricular differences within the non-extendable period of two years of being removed from the list of students. The Dean may decide on specific terms of completing the degree seminar, after consulting the student's thesis supervisor. In the event of the student's re-removal from the list of students, resumption of studies shall be possible only on the general resumption rules, including the requirement to make up curricular difference.
The degree exams are additionally arranged in December (if you submit thesis in November), then in February (if you submit in January) and in April/May (if you submit in April). And then again in two regular periods: June and September.