- Application procedure and deadlines for BA and MA
- Foundation year for BA and MA studies
- BA in Finance, International Investment and Accounting
- MA in Quantitative Finance
- MA in International Economics
- MA in Data Science and Business Analytics
- PhD in Economics
- Doctoral program “Quantitative psychology and economics”
- Doctoral Program "Economics and Finance"
- Actuarial Education (Course)
- WNE UW undergraduate studies alumni
Program "Economics and Finance" at Doctoral School of Social Sciences, University of Warsaw
The 4-year program of full-time doctoral studies in the "Economics and finance" discipline is implemented in the Doctoral School of Social Sciences at the University of Warsaw.
The education program is highly individualized and tailored to the interests and scientific project of the young researcher, and realised under the guidance of a chosen supervisor. The education program may be implemented in Polish, or completely in English. It contains a compulsory shared part in the Doctoral School of Social Sciences, enriched with courses in advanced macroeconomics, advanced microeconomics, advanced econometrics, divided into several methodological programs. The remaining part of the program contains specialized subjects, which are selected by the Ph.D. students in consultation with their supervisor.
Thanks to this structure and in addition to the solid theoretical and econometric knowledge, Ph.D. students have the opportunity to deepen their specialist knowledge by taking part in additional courses conducted by outstanding experts in their fields. The preparation of a doctoral dissertation involves an independent investigation of an important economic research problem.
„Economics and finance” doctoral program prepares graduates to work both as researchers employed in Polish and foreign academic centers, as well as to participate in economic and public life at managerial and expert levels. Alumni have qualifications allowing for conducting independent scientific research, participation in research projects, preparation of scientific publications, but also undertaking specific practical tasks and their solving. An important element of the doctoral student's profile is also the ability to teach in all the basic specialties of economics, as well as advanced courses within their own major.
During the doctoral education, students receive theoretical and methodological foundations and state-of-the-art data analysis tools to conduct their original research, under the supervision of leading scientists representing economics and other disciplines taught in the Doctoral School of Social Sciences.
The program is implemented mainly at the Faculty of Economic Sciences of the University of Warsaw, which has the highest scientific category A+ from the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and has been classified according to the IDEAS / RePEc ranking as the best scientific unit in the country for many years.
Enrolment for academic year 2020/21
- description of the initial research project proposal (up to 14,000 characters);
- the declaration of the supervisor candidate about their willingness to be the candidate’s supervisor.
Academic year 2021/22 will start on the 1st of October 2021. Doctoral Program "Economics and finance" is a full-time program, however, it is an option that the 2021/22 Fall semester will include distance learning only, allowing new foreign doctoral students to postpone their travels.
- Stage I: evaluation of the research project and scientific activities of the candidate;
- Stage II: interview.
Maximum number of points that can be obtained in the selection procedure – 100 points:
- Stage I – 60 points (the number of points needed to qualify to stage II – 30 points).
- Stage II – 40 points.
- registration in the Internet Registration of Candidates, recruitment fee payment 150 PLN
- submitting an application to the IRK for admission to the Doctoral School of Social Sciences. The required documents contain a list of all necessary elements of the application.
At this stage the Candidate shall prepare:
- a description of the initial research project proposal, which comprises no more than 14,000 characters
- and select a future supervisor. The University of Warsaw thesis supervisors search page.
- 1st stage of the recruitment procedure: 12-18 July, 2021,
- publication of the results of the 1 st stage of the recruitment procedure: until 21 July 2021,
- publication of the interview schedule (2nd stage): until 21 July 2021,
- 2nd stage of the recruitment procedure: 29 July – 4 August 2021,
- publication of the ranking list: until 11 August 2021,
- reception of documents from qualified candidates: 16 August – 21 September, 2021,
- announcement of the list of persons admitted to the School: 23 September 2021.
The candidate shall submit the application for admission to the School only in IRK. It shall include:
- the application for admission to the School stating the discipline in which the candidate plans to pursue education or, if applying for admission to IDS – the disciplines and the leading scientific discipline (and if there is no leading discipline – disciplines);
- scan of a diploma of completion of the long-cycle Master’s degree programme or second-cycle programme or an equivalent diploma obtained under separate regulations, or – in the case of candidates pursuing education within the European Higher Education Areas – a declaration that the diploma or certificate of obtaining a Master’s degree shall be provided by the Semptember 18);
- a description of the initial research project proposal, which comprises no more than 14,000 characters including spaces; the description shall contain the bibliography that is not included in the character limit;
- a resumé or curriculum vitae containing information about scientific activities, including scientific interests and scientific achievements during five calendar years preceding the submission of the application;
- scans of materials confirming scientific activities referred to in the resumé or CV – no more than two complete scans of articles or chapters in joint publications, considered the most important; other candidate’s publications shall be confirmed with scans of title pages;
- declaration about the command of English to the extent enabling the education in the School;
- a scan of the declaration of the supervisor candidate about their willingness to be the candidate’s supervisor and the number of doctoral students, for whom them are appointed as the supervisor;
- one photograph of the candidate’s face, allowing their identification;
- declaration whether the candidate is or was a doctoral student or participant of doctoral studies, and if yes – title of doctoral dissertation or the research project prepared by the candidate, as well as first name and surname of the academic tutor or the supervisor;
- declaration on familiarising themselves with the content of the Resolution, as well as Article 40 and Article 41 of the Code of Administrative Procedure.
Detailed evalutaion citeria
Research project (maximum number of points – 40)
When evaluating the project, the following shall be taken into account:
- definition of the research problem, e.g. objective, research questions, hypotheses (0-10 points);
- appropriateness of the proposed methods (0-10 points);
- setting the project in the context of existing research and knowledge of literaturę (0-10 points);
- originality of the proposed issues and methodology (0-10 points).
Scientific activity of the candidate (maximum number of points – 20)
When evaluating scientific activity, the following elements, confirmed with scans, shall be taken into account:
- active participation in scientific conferences, e.g. paper presentation, poster presentation (0-4 points);
- participation in research projects (0-5 points);
- scientific and popular science publications (0-6 points);
- science-related organisational activities, e.g. involvement in scientific associations, organisation of conferences (0-2 points);
- academic internships, scholarships, awards received in connection with scientific activities (0-3 points).
Interview (maximum number of points – 40)
The following shall be taken into account when evaluating the interview:
- evaluation of the quality of the research project discussion (0-20 points);
- knowledge of the subject, substantive knowledge, linguistic correctness and the ability to use a scientific language appropriate for the discipline in which the education is to be provided (0-20 points).
The curriculum covers 8 semesters and includes joint classes for all doctoral schools, joint classes within the school and "Economics and finanace" discipline classes. The program can be implemented in Polish or English.
General university classes for all PhD students
- Academic teaching
- Grant applications
- Public speaking
- Knowledge transfer
- Methodical teaching workshop
- Workshop – academic writing in social sciences, subjects to choose from:
- Article composition and publishing strategies
- Systematic overviews of scientific literature
- Writing grant and scholarship applications
- Academic writing workshop – from research report to essay
- Contract- and competition-based research
- Paper writing: from first ideas to successful submission
- Article composition and publishing strategies II
- Scientific development – individual classes with the supervisor
- Methodological classes to be chosen by the PhD students from:
- Causality in social studies
- Theoretical paradigms of social sciences
- The most important problems of today’s world. The geographical perspective
- Contemporary political analysis
- Theory established in organisation research
- Statistical methods in social studies
- Advanced statistical methods
- Research programming in PsychoPy
- A new source of information. Big Data
- Working on a doctoral dissertation in legal studies: methodological remarks
- The use of computer programmes in collecting and analysing qualitative data
- The theories of rational choice and formal theories in social studies
- Methods of causal effect estimation
- Advanced qualitative methods in social studies
- The research methods of media studies: from content analysis and discourse through surveys to biometric research
- Spatial analysis in social studies
- The legal and structural interdependency between the state and the European Union
- Comparative methods in social studies
- Contemporary educational measurement theories
- Evaluation methods for public policies
- Time series and dynamic panel data
- Micro data analysis
- Spatial data analysis
- Interdisciplinary conference
- School seminar
- Discipline seminar
- PhD student seminar
Classes within the framework "Economics and finance" discipline
- Advanced Microeconomics
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Advanced Finance
The full-time doctoral program is offered free of charge to all successful candidates regardless of their nationality.
Moreover, all participants receive a monthly schoolarship from Doctoral School throughout their entire four-year education in the amount of PLN 2371.70 for the first two years of studies (before the mid-term evaluation) and PLN 3653.70 in the next two years after the mid-term evaluation. Supplement for people with disabilities: PLN 711,51.