Studying in Warsaw

Living in Warsaw

Warsaw is the capital of Poland and its largest city with slightly over 3 million inhabitants in the Greater Warsaw. As the seat of Polish central government and institutions, Warsaw is the fastest developing Polish urban area. It is also a place with over 700 years of history where several cultures have blended in a unique way.
You will find more on Warsaw on the E-Warsaw website, the official portal of Warsaw's Municipal Office.

Living expenses in Warsaw vary considerably depending on lifestyle. Estimated minimum monthly student budget in Warsaw amounts to 500 USD, tuition fees not included. 
Student status entitles to several discounts in Poland. Students qualify for low-cost university housing. Holders of the Electronic Student ID card, irrespective of age, obtain a statutory 50% reduction on municipal transportation. Thus, a quarterly student travelcard in Warsaw (accepted on trams, buses, in tube and in local trains) amounts to roughly 23 EUR. Another significant discount is the National Health Fund medical insurance student tariff of roughly 10 EUR a month (compared to 55 EUR a month for professionals). Intercity domestic train tickets, textbooks, entry to cinemas and theatres, and many other goods and services are traditionally available to students at reduced prices in Poland.

Useful sites


I am a B.Sc./B.A. but I majored in a field different than economics

The minimum amount of points to be admitted to studies is 30. Thus theoretically the candidate who gains maximum amount of points from Research Experience Letter may be accepted to studies. But please note that the studies, as they base on mathematical skills and basic knowledge in economics, statistics and finance may be difficult for a student who has not been interested in mentioned above earlier.

Please also take under consideration a situation when there are more candidates than places available. The Admission Committee accepts the best candidates based on the ranking list prepared during the procedure.

Are there any entrance examinations, take-home tests or interviews for applicants?

Every Candidate should have a certificate of English proficiency at least at B2 level. Candidates without English certificate from the list accepted by the University of Warsaw, may take part in the internal University of Warsaw Exam. (point 7)

Where will I find the list of accepted candidates?

Preliminarily accepted candidates will be notified via IRK system and afterwards via email. After University receives hard copies/copies certified by a notary of all documents necessary from the candidate, it issues an official admission letter.

Do I have to wait with enrolment to your programme for 1 year because I will receive my bachelor degree after the application date?

Please don't. Send us your current transcript of undergraduate records and a statement issued by your university or college confirming you are currently enrolled there and providing your expected graduation date. If you are accepted, we will ask you to provide your diploma and final transcript of records in about 2 months. This procedure refers to the candidates who are able to obtain a certificate of graduation with Apostille/legalization within the deadlines to submit the documents by accepted candidates. 

Should I translate my file into English? May I do it myself?

Documents in Polish and in English are accepted, documents in other languages must be submitted with certified translations into either English or Polish. The translation should be prepared by an official translator.

I would like to apply to your degree programme, and precisely for the spring session next year

Unfortunately you cannot. In Poland, academic year starts on the first working day of October and ends with the examination session throughout June.

Disability Policy

University of Warsaw exerts ongoing efforts to provide equal education opportunities to students with disabilities. For this reason, the University has been repeatedly honoured with the 'Bareer-free Warsaw' distinction of the Friends of Integration Association, the leading Polish NGO involved in integrating people with impairments.

If you feel your health problems might affect your admission and studies at the University we encourage you to contact the Office for Persons with Disabilities to find out what forms of support are offered.

The Faculty of Economic Sciences' facility is wheelchair-friendly and adapted to the needs of persons with visual impairments.

Visas, residency

How do I get visa to study in Poland?

EU and EFTA citizens need no visa to study in Poland.


Poland is now a member of the Schengen free mobility area and has adopted common EU visa policy. Now, Polish consular services issue uniform Schengen visas, out of which you might be granted the 90-day short-term visa C.
Poland will also continue to issue long-term national visa D (of roughly 300-day+ duration) which entitles you to study in Poland and to max. 5-day transit through other Schengen States on your way to Poland.
Inform yourself in the Polish Embassy accredited for your country of origin about visa procedures.
Once your visa expiry date is approaching, you may either decide to travel to you home country in order to obtain next long-term student visa or to apply for a residence permit in Poland.

Residence in Poland

Residence permits are granted by the Immigration Department (Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki, Wydział Spraw Cudzoziemców) at 5 Długa St. For more information please refer to the website of the Mazovian Voivodship Office. Foreigners are encouraged to make phone-call appointments in order to avoid waiting times in the Immigration Department (details available here).
The University does not assist students in residence permit application process (applications must be filled in Polish and require several attachments).

Residence permit is equivalent to student visa. Both will give you the same rights and obligations in Poland.
Currently, residence permit issued by Poland makes provision for up-to-3-months journeys across the Schengen area.

Am I eligible for a residence permit?

Residence permit applications will not be accepted from international students long before the expiry date of their multiple-entry long-term student visas, as this sort of visa is fully equivalent to a residence permit. Incoming students with single- or double-entry student visas should apply for residence permits in order to enable multiple border crossing in this period regardless how much time is left to expiry. Students with visas valid for shorter periods of time should apply for residence permits soon after matriculation.
All students should definitely respect the deadline for submitting their residence permit applications which is 45 days before visa expiry date.

PESEL number

The PESEL number is an 11-digit string ascribed to every citizen or resident (registered for over 2 months) in Poland. The PESEL identifies the holder with administration, national health services, and the police. It is a key to receiving a residence permit and to signing a medical insurance contract.
Once your dormitory or your landlord registers you for over 2 months' temporary residence in the facility they own (which they will do in the Borough Council (Urząd Gminy) or the District Council (Urząd Dzielnicy)), you will be ascribed your PESEL number automatically. It will be featured in a box on the top of your residence confirmation.


You stay in Poland as a student. Hence, you are not permitted to work in Poland for more than 3 months, and you may work only in the period of university holidays.
If you want to be employed, your potential employer should issue a promise of employment (they will have to comply with several requirements of the employment office) which, along with a number of other documents, will serve as an attachment to your application for a change of the status of your residence to 'work and study'. Provided the immigration office will grant you the 'work and study' status, you are free to work within the conditions set out by your residence permit.

Useful sites
  • Migrant - usefull information on visa, legalizing your stay in Poland
  • FROG - Foundation helps in completing formalities in Polish public institutions, organizes integration evenings
  • FSD - the Foundation for Social Diversity creates initiatives which help integration process

Can a student work full time and pursue studies?

All programmes taught in English at the Faculty of Economic Sciences are organised as full-time programmes. Full-time jobs are strongly discouraged. However, classes are grouped so that one or two working days remain free. Part-time jobs may be suitable, although they may adversely affect your grades. Secure enough time for independent study especially during your first year. Second year schedule is more flexible, with options to choose from.
International students in Poland may officially be employed during their holidays. With a residency card they may also work throughout the year for details please visit the following website.

Health care & medical insurance

University of Warsaw does not cover medical insurance for international students (for exceptions see below). Responsibility and initiative for complying with insurance procedures rests entirely on students.
Non-Polish students may purchase health insurance from the National Health Fund (NFZ, the governmental medical services provider) for a reduced monthly flat rate of PLN 37,80 (as of Aug 2009, check current rates with NFZ).
Students from other EU States maintain the coverage of their home country health insurance and should arrange for a proper insurance proof (European Health Insurance Card) before arrival to Poland.
You may also sign a medical insurance contract in your home country prior to arrival or subscribe private healthcare in Poland (prices range from 50 to 100 PLN a month). Inform yourself about the service range. Services you might expect to be free of charge may be provided for pay.

Student casualty insurance

Warsaw University students may also purchase a yearly casualty insurance to refund the insured on the costs incurred by an accident leading to loss of health (Polish: ubezpieczenie NNW). It is tied to an international student discount card and costs between 40 and 60 PLN, depending on validity range. It may be purchased from the main Student Government headquarters (Zarząd Samorządu Studentów UW), the Lesser Court, Main Campus, room #20.
Please note: Casualty insurance does not entitle to free medical service. It concerns reimbursement on costs resulting from damage due to unforeseen incidents. Casualty insurance intended for all the countries of the world will exclude Poland and your home country. Indemnities require properly documented claims that hold up to the insurer's standards (insurer's forms, medical certificates, hospital documentation, etc.).
Casualty insurance may be purchased on the spot from the Students Office. For more information turn to the Students' Association.

Eligibility and procedures

University of Warsaw may cover health insurance of: EU students who cannot obtain health insurance in their home country; Non-Polish nationals who have obtained a permanent residence or settlement permit or the refugee status in Poland; Non-Polish citizens of certified Polish descent along the guidelines of the repatriation laws, Polish students of or over 26 years of age if unemployed; and a few more. Insurance will be covered only after the eligible student applies for it to the Central Students' Office, Main Campus, Rector's Palace.

Insurance procedures

If you are less than 26, your health insurance is covered by your parent(s) wages.
If you are under 26 and your parents are unemployed and do not pay social insurance (ZUS), you can be insured by the University of Warsaw (see Procedure 1 below).
If you are under 26 and your parents are employed elsewhere in the EU, you are entitled to healthcare in the EU state where your parent(s) pay taxes. This country will issue the proof of insurance to you (European Health Insurance Card).
Once you are 26 or more, your insurance is no longer covered by your parents. If you stay unemployed, the University of Warsaw may cover your health insurance if you apply for it (see Procedure 1).

Who pays for the EU students:
If your parents are employed in the EU, health insurance rates are deducted from their salary in that country. Before you come to Poland arrange for the European Health Insurance Card.

Who pays for other international students:
If you are of Polish descent, request the Polish Embassy in your country to confirm your Polish origin. This certificate will entitle you to health insurance from the Ministry of Higher Education as long as you study (Procedure 1 below).
If you are not of Polish roots you sign an agreement with the NFZ (see Procedure 2) or with a private medical services provider.

Procedure 1
If you qualify for health insurance from the University of Warsaw visit the Student Affairs Office (Biuro Spraw Studenckich) at Kazimierzowski Palace, main university campus, ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, room#31. You will be asked to fill out a form and to produce the following documents:
1. your passport or ID card,
2. your NIP (Polish tax payer number),
3. certificate of student status issued by the Students Office (room K3; remember that it is valid for 30 days only, documents past validity date may be rejected),
4. optional: the certificate issued by the Embassy confirming you are of Polish descent if you are not citizen of Poland,
A ZZA form will be issued to you each month by that office.

Procedure 2.
In order to sign a contract with NFZ visit NFZ headquarters at ul. Chałubińskiego 8 (Mon through Fri 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). English is spoken there.
Bring the following documents:
1. your passport or ID card,
2. certificate of student status issued by the Students Office (room K3; remember that it is valid for 30 days only, documents past validity date may be rejected),
3. your student ID,
4. confirmation of your residence in Poland (the A4 paper you received in the Town Hall where you registered for temporary residence in Poland),
5. your PESEL number (an 11-digit electronic census number - you should find it printed in a box in the heading of document#4, if it is not there visit the Town Hall of the district you live in to register for temporary residence and to have a PESEL no. assigned).

Proofs of insurance:

When you go to see the doctors' you will be asked to produce a document ascertaining the healthcare provider you are entitled to use the services. This is what is referred to as a proof of insurance.
The list features officially recognised proofs of insurance:
- If your parents who work in Poland report you as covered by their health insurance the RMUA (pronounce: ['rmoowah]) statement they receive monthly from their employer is your proof of insurance.
- if your parents work in the EU, your EHIC card is your proof of insurance in Poland. - If you are professionally active yourself, your own monthly RMUA is your proof of insurance.
- If the University of Warsaw insures you, the ZZA form issued monthly by the University is your proof of insurance.
- NFZ issues own proofs of insurance.
Ensure you take your proof of insurance with you whenever you seek medical assistance.

Fees, Funding, Scholarships

Funding and Scholarships

University of Warsaw provides no grants or scholarships to its students. Privately funded awards and scholarships common in some other countries are a rare exception in Poland.
Students and candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for support from external organizations active in the field of academic funding. Below you will find a list of organizations you might apply to. Please inform us of any other sources of funding which are missing from the list.

DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst)

Go East
A scholarship program for German students who want to study at postgraduate or graduate level in Poland or other CEE countries. More information at go-east.daad.de
DAAD features a bank of scholarship opportunities for German students. See the selection for Poland here.
Warsaw Branch of DAAD (Niemiecka Centrala Wymiany Akademickiej / Przedstawicielstwo w Warszawie)
Students from CIS countries or the Ukraine as well as citizens of other countries may apply for individualised scholarships. Not a regular program - case-by-case decisions are made in the Bonn HQ.
Contact: daad[-at]daad.pl
Eligible countries: German; Ukraine?, CIS/NIS?

Foundation for Polish Science (Fundacja na rzecz Nauki Polskiej)

Programmes' offer for researchers from abroad
Kasa im. Mianowskiego
The Foundation for Polish Science is a governmental institution which offers funding to Polish and foreign researchers. Foreign candidates active in Poland who completed their graduate education and are interested in doctoral studies might check if they are eligible. Possibilities for second-cycle students exist yet are marginal. You might consider the Kasa im. Mianowskiego programme.
Contact: kasa[ -at]mianowski.waw.pl, 00-330 Warsaw, ul. Nowy Swiat 72, Palac Staszica, room 109A
Phone +48 22 8267174
Eligible countries: no information

Fulbright Commission

Fulbright Commission is a joint US-Polish non-governmental organization supporting democratic transformations in the CEE region. Two programmes allow for studies of foreign students in Poland:
Fulbright Student Program (addresses US Citizens)
Lane Kirkland's Scholarships (open for CE European and CIS / NIS students).
information on the Fulbright website
information of the Centre for East European Studies, University of Warsaw Contact: fulbright[-at]fulbright.edu.pl
Eligible countries: USA, CIS/NIS

GFPS (Gemeinschaft für studentischen Austausch in Mittel- und Osteuropa)

www.gfps.org (DE)
A German-based ngo that supports student exchange between Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic. Since it is the focus of the programme to support exchange despite all sorts of political and financial obstacles, students of neighbouring countries might try and turn to GFPS for support.
Contact: stipendien[- at]gfps.org

GFPS-Polska, Stowarzyszenie Naukowo-Kulturalne w Europie Srodkowej i Wschodniej
www.gfps.pl/informacje/inf_ang.html (text in English)
Polish branch of GFPS - German and Czech students may apply for a scholarship and may certainly receive practical help.
Contact: sekcja_wschod[-at]gfps.pl
Eligible countries: German, Czech, CEE?

International Visegrad Fund

The Visegrad Group (V4), formed by the Czech and Slovak Republics, Hungary and Poland, offers academic scholarships to students from former Soviet Union States and countries of CEE Europe.
CEE Student Scholarships
Visegrad Fund runs also separate programs of scholarships in G4 states:
Scholarship Program for Belarusian Students
www.visegradfund.org/belarus.html (EN/BY)
Scholarship Program for Ukrainian Students
The website gives an overview of scholarships available and application guidelines. Mind early application date in January.
Contact: Bratislava, Visegrad Fund HQ, Slovakia
Eligible countries: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, the Czech, Georgia, Hungary, Macedonia, Moldova, montenegro, Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine

Karta Polaka programme

www.msz.gov.pl/Karta,Polaka,15813.html (PL)
Polish Government has implemented a programme addressed to Polish ethnic communities in the former USSR States. One of several benefits bestowed on the Karta Polaka holders is free education, including higher education in Poland. CIS States' Citizens of Polish descent may obtain the Karta Polaka from the Consular of the Republic of Poland in their country of residence.

Kosciuszko Foundation

Exchange programs to Poland:
US Citizens may apply for a scholarship for studies in Poland. Some programs target specifically US Citizens of Polish descent.
Eligible countries: USA

Republic of Poland's Scholarships (administered by the Ministry of Education - MENiS RP)

Poland has signed bilateral agreements on collaboration in the field of education with several countries in the world. These agreements include student exchange programmes. Within this programme, students receive tuition waivers for study in Poland but they must cover their costs of living.
In Poland, the Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange (BUWIWM), subject to MENiS, is the department in charge of scholarships for incoming international students. However, student applications are filed with the Polish consular in the students' country of origin.
This website features a list of countries with working bilateral exchange programmes.
Contact the parallel department in your Country (most probably it will be a subdivision of the Ministry of Education, possibly named ENIC/NARIC).

Your Country's Government

You may verify with your Country's Ministry of Education or Ministry of Foreign Affairs whether you are eligible for any scholarships, grants, or stipends in case bilateral agreements exist between Poland and your Country. Grantees are treated as full time students in Poland (studies free of charge, medical insurance covered, and more).

Can you offer part-time job opportunities to students?

We can offer no occupations to the 1st year students.
Students are sought for all sorts of occupations in Poland. Lack of Polish, however, may prove an obstacle. Students with good language skills may work as teachers of their own mother tongues or as translators. The best way of learning about that is being in the right place at the right time, or having friends who will recommend you. You may also try one of the following: Office of Career Services, Erasmus Students Network (a meeting point for short-term international students at WU), or the Students' Government of the Faculty of Economic Sciences.

The Faculty of Economic Sciences is constructing relations with companies which will give job opportunities for students. Quantitative Finance students may also contact the program coordinator, who is also leading OSTC Trading Lab at the Faculty.

I cannot pay my fees. Please cancel my tuition for this semester.

Fees are not cancelled or suspended. The Dean can meet a decision to partially exempt a student from a tuition rate upon a well-documented cause of extraordinary importance and only with the agreement of the Student Bursary Committee. However, that is a really seldom exception. According to the university regulations, candidates who are accepted as fee-paying and fail to pay their fees for more than 3 months are discontinued.
Please also consult it with Polish Embassy in your country or your Ministry of Education - there are some bilateral agreements and scholarship foundations which may help you (see for e.g. Visegrad Fund).

See also the note "Funding and Scholarships"

Will the first instalment of my tuition fee be returned if I pay it and fail to obtain a visa from the Polish embassy (after I am admitted)?

If you fail to obtain the Polish visa after you have been accepted to our programme and transferred us the required fee, it will be returned to you if University received the transfer. In such case please send us a document from the Polish embassy which states that your visa application was rejected (i.e. a written confirmation of visa refusal from the Polish Embassy). The same holds for any other reason beyond your control (such as death in closest family, permanent mobility impairment, etc.) which prevents you from joining the programme after you paid the fee, provided it can be documented. However, if you change your mind after fees have been paid, fees will not be returned.

It is possible to pay for the Electronic Student ID (ELS) in USD or EUR?

Yes. It is possible to pay the equivalent of 22 PLN for the student ID in USD or EUR.

University glossary

WNE - Wydział Nauk Ekonomicznych - The Faculty of Economic Sciences

BUW - Biblioteka Uniwersytecka - University Library

ELS - Elektroniczna Legitymacja Studencka - Student ID


Services * .wne.uw.edu.pl use cookies stored on users' computers. They are necessary for the proper operation of mechanisms websites Faculty of Economic Sciences.

Detailed information on cookies Operating Policy, University of Warsaw in services are available on http://en.uw.edu.pl/cookie-statement