- Application procedure and deadlines for BA and MA
- Foundation year for BA and MA studies
- BA in Finance and International Investment
- MA in Quantitative Finance
- MA in International Economics
- MA in Data Science
- PhD in Economics
- Actuarial Education (Course)
- WNE UW undergraduate studies alumni
+ 48 22 55 49 190, 145
With kind regards,
Office of Admissions
Data Science (graduate programme, 2 years)
The Data Science Program at the Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw is a four-semester program on a full-time basis that provides students with outstanding knowledge of data science. The program leads to Masters of Arts degree and is compatible with the Bologna system.
Data science combines different scientific methods to extract information from data. The Data Science is a rapidly extending part of quantitative analysis, that is highly demanded at the market. Its popularity reflects availability of vast amount of (big) data that used appropriately gives great opportunities for business.
Data Scientist combine broad knowledge and skills of data analysis, econometrics and machine learning, IT programing with soft skills that all together makes them highly desirable experts.
The Data Science programme gives all necessary knowledge and skills to become very good Data Scientist.
The objectives of the Data Science programme is to educate data analysts with broad programming skills, understanding business and business processes that can easily communicate with business clients. That is why the education program is based on four pillars: quantitative methods, IT programming, economics & finance and soft skills. Our program is intended to help students acquire necessary skills and prepare them for a wide range of career opportunities.
The quantitative methods module consist of: Statistics/Exploratory data analysis, Intro to Data Science, Advanced econometrics, Machine Learning 1 - classification methods, Machine Learning 2 - predictive models, deep learning, neural networks and additional Elective courses.
The IT programing module consist of: R intro/data cleaning & imputation in R, Python & SQL intro/SQL platforms (R, Python), Basics of visualization in R, Algorithmics, Webscrapping & social media scrapping in R, Advanced programming in R, Webb applications in Python, Text mining, Big Data (Hadoop, Spark), Reproducible research and additional Elective courses.
Within the module of economics & finance we offer such subjects as Applied Microeconomics, Applied Macroeconomics, Applied Finance, related Elective Courses (economics/finance) and Understanding business.
The soft skills module includes: Communication and autopresentation and Negotiations.
An important business subject is the Understanding business course, which is a business communication platform designed to build joint projects in a business-university partnership and show clearly what are the business needs for Data Scientists.
The DS programme is based on R and Python, but includes also other languages and statistical software (such as SQL, 4GL and SAS).
The additional advantage of this concept is their uniqueness on the Polish educational market. Even though some Polish universities have similar programs, none of them in as complete and comprehensive as the DS programme at Warsaw University.
The Data Science recruitment process is open type. The DS programme is open to all applicants from all over the world. A group of most appropriate candidates are graduates from quantitative methods, mathematics, engineering, information science and all other quantitatively oriented programs, including WNE graduates.
The program is designed for students whose main field of interest in quantitative analysis in economics, finance, business or social sciences. Candidates should have solid background in quantitative methods and related (statistics, probability calculus, mathematics etc.). Candidates should hold an undergraduate degree (Bachelor degree from an EU university or its equivalent from a university outside the EU). The curriculum is intended to prepare students to tie up their careers with Polish and worldwide institutions, where they will be able to perform complex and thorough data analysis that would be helpful in making decisions important in doing business.
The DS programme graduates have appropriate knowledge and skills to be very good Data Scientists:
- statistical programming language skills (R, Python, SQL etc.),
- broad statistics and econometrics knowledge and skills,
- broad machine learning knowledge and skills,
- appropriate mathematical background,
- broad knowledge and skills in data analysing and data cleansing process,
- skills in visualizing and communicating obtained results.
The DS Graduates are able to perform independently thorough analysis using available data. The Graduates have all necessary knowledge and skills to perform:
- collection, processing and in-depth analysis of data to prepare them for required analysis,
- formulation and verification of research hypotheses relevant to the problem and appropriate selection of methods for verifying them,
- presenting obtained results in a comprehensible and communicative way,
- unlimited self-improvement of own expertise based on the results of the latest research.
The DS Graduates stand out by:
- its creativity and curiosity, enriched by specialized knowledge and skills in data analysis that gives unique abilities to find appropriate solutions and make appropriate decisions,
- from the one hand research independence and from the other hand high team work skills that makes the DS programme Graduates trustworthy and appreciated employers (either on analytical or managerial positions).
Additionally, the planned curriculum and the level of difficulty of courses assume solid background for students who wish to conduct independent research and continue their education on Ph.D. studies in the field of Data Sciences at Polish and foreign universities.
The DS programme is intended to prepare students for a wide range of careers in any company and in any industry where complex and thorough data analysis is needed.
The DS programme is practically and theoretically oriented with deep concentration on developing skills highly demanded on the market. The programme gives a broad knowledge and skills of data analysis, econometrics and machine learning, IT programing, combined with soft skills that all together makes highly desirable at the market experts in the field of Data Science.
Solid theoretical & empirical background will allow graduates to flexibly adapt to the demands of the changing labour market. Their place of employment may in principle be every institution/company where advanced data analysis is needed. Examples of the institutions/companies and their departments where a Data Scientist skills are needed:
- Financial & Insurance institutions, such as Banks, Brokerage Houses, Leasing Companies, Investment Funds, Insurance companies, FinTech companies etc. (Risk Department, Sales Department, Strategy Department, Marketing Department etc.),
- Big Corporates (Sales Departments, Marketing Departments, Business Development Departments etc.),
- Telecommunications companies,
- Marketing companies,
- Pharmaceutical companies (Clinical Trials department),
- Media Houses,
- Consultancy companies,
- Academic, Industrial Research, and
- all other companies that need complex and thorough data analysis.
Limit of places
- 15 for candidates who will study under Polish citizenship conditions (PL/UE/EFTA/Pole's Card)
- 20 for other candidates
Academic year 2017/2018
Tuition fees charged in AY 2017/2018
|Tuition fee charged from non-EU/EFTA candidates:||2100 Euro a year
+ 200 Euro of additional one-time payment
charged from PL/EU/EFTA candidates:
|6600 PLN a year|
dr Marcin Chlebus
Office of Admissions